Perhaps one of the most important parts of the exhibition to me were these notes i made as an aid to understand the moral contradictions and issues considered producing and displaying this work….
– Do not buy a bike just as an accessory.
– Do not expect that women have to dress like this in daily life.
– Do take ownership of public space.
– Do not think owning things makes you better than any other person.
– Do colour coordinate your trainers with your bike or daily attire.
– Do paint graffiti.
– Do not think of ‘Girls’ (as in the title of this project) as a term for women in general.
– Do think of ‘Girls’ (as in the title of this project) as a term for a constructed pansexual media fantasy.
– Do understand the difference between fantasy and reality and gauge the expectations of yourself and those around you accordingly.
– Irony does not justify anything but it is a good way of expressing one’s own contradictions.
– Irony does not justify anything but it is a good excuse.